I’d noticed that the was more than one Sir Charles Fox on The Peerage. There is Sir Charles Fox, whose son Henry married Emily Josephine Knox: Then there is the Sir Charles Fox here. They seem to be the same so I thought I’d start at the top and work my way down with the foxes having made the following post on The Peerage forum. I haven’t manged to get any further back than Francis Fox and Dorthy Ward mentioned on the following Rootweb reference. No idea where they found the reference. Francis and Dorothy’s son is Dr Francis Fox, who’s listed on The Peerage here.Dr Francis Fox married Charlotte Douglas, who was the daughter of Archibald Douglas – a merchant/privateer in Devon who who owned a ship called the Fox captained by James Verco who was possibly involved in piracy (see more here). There’s actually a vast amount of information about this family as part of the Galton Papers in the National Archives, but it means going to Birmingham to look at them. Until then here is what I’ve found out.
Archibald married a Miss Hake in Honiton in 16 Apr 1765. She is probably called Mary and was the daughter of a Samuel Hake, a clothier from Honiton Devon. Archibald and Mary had the following children (see here):
1. William Archibald Douglas, d. 1799, Madeira Island (disappeared on way home from Madeira along with gold he was bringing back).
2. Susannah Douglas, married John Cooper and had the following children: Douglas, Isabella, Emma, Clara, John Douglas*
3. Isabella Archibald Douglas, who married 1793 the philanthropist Joseph Strutt (see The Peerage here)
4. Charlotte Douglas (married Francis Fox)
* I found this reference for John Douglas Cooper on the Archer Family Tree here:
Elizabeth [Smith], b. 11 Nov 1783, bapt 7 Jul 1784 at Holy Trinity, Chester, m. 23 Jan 1805 at St. Oswald’s, Chester, John Douglas Cooper, a partner in Mayfield Mill with his brothers-in-law, son of John Cooper and his wife Susannah, dau of Archibald Douglas. See DOUGLAS-COOPER of THE HAWFIELD and formerly of KILLYMOON CASTLE – Burke’s Landed Gentry 1952 Edition. He d. 23 Nov 1850 and she d. 4 Dec 1868 at Chatham, Kent having had issue.
As mentioned above Charlotte married Dr Francis Fox of Derby, and I found this reference for him here:
Francis Fox esq during a long and extensive practice in the medical profession obtained a celebrity rarely equalled. He married Miss Douglas sister to the late Mrs Joseph Strutt and has issue by her Francis, Douglas, Archibald, and Charles, and three daughters viz Harriet the wife of Ambrose Moore silk throwster Julia, and Charlotte, Francis Fox jun is a physician philosopher and chemist and by superior talent is rising into considerable eminence.
I deal with my ancestor Charles first (Sir Charles Fox). He married Mary Brookhouse and they 3 sons and a daughter were as follows: Sir (Charles) Douglas Fox, Sir Francis Fox, Henry Fox and Isabel Fox (who I found listed on the Wright Family Tree I have).
Sir (Charles) Douglas Fox and Mary (Wright) had the following children
1) Francis Douglas Fox, Esq., M.A. Cantab. , M.I.C.E., F.R. Col. Inst. (19 Kensington Square, S.W.), b. 15 April 1868, married 12 July 1900, Mildred Susan, d. of Rev. Joseph Harris of Westcotes, Leicester (no issue)
2) Mary Douglas (b. 12 Nov 1864, of, Sevenoaks, Kent), m. (2 Jul 1889 St. Peter’s, Norbiton, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey) Rev. Edward Harrison ASKWITH (born on 8 SEP 1864 in Ripon, Near York), son of Bank Manager and Stock Broker Thomas ASKWITH (born on 21 SEP 1816 in Ripon, NRY, died on 8 JUL 1888 in Ripon) and (married 9 JAN 1847 in Ripon Cathedral) Sarah Nowell JOHNSON (born on 13 FEB 1825 in Ripon, NRY, died on 8 JUN 1906 in Church Cresent, St. Albans, HRT), daughter of Christopher JOHNSON and Anne LAX (see here)
The following Children have been identified:
i. Edward Douglas Askwith, b. 9 Feb 1895, Brookside, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, married Muriel Ursula Sybil CROSBIE b. 1899, Roorkee, India (who according to the family tree I have has a son called John Askwith who married Lilian Elkin)
ii. Judith Margery Askwith, b. 7 Nov 1896, Selwyn House, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
iii. Beatrice Mary Askwith, b. 29 Jan 1900, Selwyn House, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
3.) Judith Isabel, m.1899 Rev. James Sedgwick Wimbush (b. 1866) of Terrington, Yorkshire (see here and here), who was the son of Samuel Wimbush (Rector of Terrington) and Catherine Jane Nicholson. James and Judith had the following children:
i. Michael Douglas Wimbush b.1905 Swainswick, Somerset.
ii. John Bourchier Wimbush b.1908 Swainswick, Somerset.
iii. Richard Knyvet Wimbush b.1909 Terrington, Yorkshire (see Wiki entry)
iv. James Christopher Wimbush b.1902
v. Samuel Humphrey Wimbush b.1904 Kensington.
4.) Agnes Selina (never married, see excerpts from her scrapbook here)
5) Lucy Adeline married E. B. Fitzherbert Wright (my great grandparents)